Shifting from legacy, on-premises infrastructure to the cloud enables organizations to adjust to industry shifts and capitalize on emerging technologies. They can also accelerate speed-to market, innovate more, and achieve powerful business outcomes.
But to garner these benefits, it’s vital to follow proven cloud transformation best practices. Let’s take a look at these best practices.
But first, let’s understand: what is cloud transformation? Let’s also explore the AWS cloud transformation journey and how the model empowers organizations to smooth their cloud journey and achieve transformation that drives business agility and makes a strategic impact.
What is Cloud Transformation?
Cloud transformation is a systematic process of transitioning workloads, data, and applications to the cloud. It is not the same as cloud migration which is about moving data and workloads from a local, on-prem environment to a cloud like AWS.
Cloud transformation also involves modernizing enterprise security, establishing analytics, implementing data governance, and assessing and mitigating migration risks. An established cloud transformation process clarifies enterprise cloud capabilities and enables organizations to boost operational efficiency, optimize costs, and align processes with transformation objectives.
AWS’ 4-Phase Cloud Transformation Journey
Every organization’s cloud journey is unique, depending on its industry, desired target state, and cloud-readiness. Consequently, the cloud transformation process also varies. Nonetheless, every company’s transformation journey includes four key phases that enable them to transform their technology infrastructure, processes, products, and business models. These phases are:
- Envision: The org identifies and prioritizes transformation opportunities based on strategic objectives to demonstrate cloud value.
- Align: The company identifies its capability gaps and stakeholder concerns to develop a cloud-readiness strategy.
- Launch: This phase focuses on delivering impactful pilot initiatives in production to adjust the transformation approach.
- Scale: The production pilot is expanded and the org confirms that the cloud investment delivers expected benefits.
Cloud Transformation Best Practices to Keep in Mind
Organizations following AWS’ incremental transformation approach can maintain the required migration momentum and achieve and demonstrate cloud value quickly. They can also deliver greater value to customers and meet planned strategic goals.
Even so, the transformation process can become complicated. To reduce complications and avoid common pitfalls and challenges, it’s useful to follow these best practices:
- Define the key principles that will guide the transformation effort and get stakeholder agreement to maximize transparency and accountability during the process
- Identify the incremental small steps to achieve the overarching transformation vision
- Leverage automation to enable speed and stability during migration
- Update the enterprise culture to overcome human resistance to change
- Look for opportunities to convert potential blockers into cloud advocates
An experienced AWS Consulting Partner like Axcess.io can help accelerate the transformation journey to the AWS Cloud and realize its benefits faster. The right partner is also vital to create an agile IT foundation, protect cloud assets, and enable business innovation.